4 Healthy Recipes with Smoked Haddock
Smoked haddock is an excellent meal for you and your family, very simple to prepare, and a unique addition to our wide range of recipes. If you are looking to make healthier food choices, delicious meals and give your body a boost of omega-3, then you need to try out these fantastic fish recipes. From chowders to pies – there is no missing its hearty and distinctive flavor.
Haddock is mild-tasting fish that is flaky, white and lean when smoked. If you are not accustomed to a strong fish flavor, then it is the right choice for you. It is a great source of protein, Vitamin B, and contains several minerals such as iron, magnesium, calcium, sodium, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, manganese and copper. (source)
Add these fish meals to your diet and boost your brain power. Choose any smoked haddock recipe and surprise your family with making this delicious and healthy meal. Keep reading to know more.
1. Wild Mushroom Traybake and Smoked Haddock
- Two smoked haddock fillets (remove bones and skin)
- Thinly sliced Maris Piper potatoes 450 g (about three medium)
- Chicken stock 150 ml
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Two sliced onions
- Crème Fraiche 75 g
- Chopped wild mushrooms 140 g
- Diced butter 50 g
- Leaves of three lemon thyme sprigs
- One cut to breadcrumbs slice of brioche
- Nicely grated parmesan 25 g
- One segmented and peeled lemon
- Spinach wilted
- First, you need to cook the haddock in the electric smoker. If you don't own one check out our list of top electric smokers on the market. Place it on aluminum foil and put it on the racks. Set the unit between 200 and 225 degrees F and let the fish smoke for about hour and a half. When it reached the temperature of 145 degrees F and smoked adequately, you can remove it from the appliance.
- In a large pan place the potatoes and cover it with 50 ml of water and chicken stock. Heat your oven to 356 degrees F. When start boiling, simmer until tender for eight to ten minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove it and leave aside. Reserve the stock.
- Use the olive oil to cook the onions in a frying pan for about eight minutes until they get a brown color. In an ovenproof dish first spread the onions and then place the potatoes on top of them. Pour over the chicken soup and season it. The vegetables need to be dry, meaning that the stock will soak into the onion.
- Mix the Parmesan, brioche breadcrumbs and lemon thyme to make a topping. After you have removed, the foil from the smoked haddock use this topping and sprinkle it over the fish. Place it again in the oven and leave it for about five minutes, then remove it and put it under the grill until golden brown, for about two minutes.
- In a roasting tin place the lemon segments and use a blowtorch to char it, to give the meal some acidity. Arrange on the golden crust’s top and serve it. If you like, use it with wilted spinach.
2. Corn Hash and Smoked Haddock
- Smoked haddock, leave skin on, 300 g
- Two large sliced red potatoes
- One tablespoon olive oil
- One or two sweetcorn cobs
- One chopped onion
- One teaspoon ground cumin
- One lemon
- Roughly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley, 25 g
- Two eggs
- White wine vinegar, a splash
- Optional – mango chutney
- First, smoke the fish in the Smoke Hollow smoker so you can make this delicious meal. The next thing is to pour the water in the large pan, add some salt and place the potatoes in it. After the water starts boiling, it is best to cook the veggies for another ten minutes. When you remove the potatoes, place the haddock so that the skin-side goes down.
Poach it for about five minutes and remove it when it starts flaking in the middle of the fish. After you have drained it, leave it aside. Note: Don’t wash the pan immediately because you will be using it later for the eggs.
- Place the onions in heated oil in the frying pan and cook it for five minutes. From the corn cobs shave the kernels using a sharp knife. Place them in the pan with onions and cook for another two minutes.
- Turn up the heat and put the potatoes in the pan and just keep cooking it for another five minutes. Add the lemon zest, cumin, and mustard and stir it well for one minute. After that, from half the wedges, add lemon juice and season it. Flake in the haddock, use the parsley to fold it in and to keep it warm cover it.
- In the water that is boiled with a pinch of salt and the splash of vinegar, poach the eggs. Remove it when it is just cooked, when the yolk is still runny and serve it in bowls, on the top of the hash. Use the rest of the lemon and squeeze it over. On the side place the chutney.
3. Chorizo Salad and Smoked Haddock
- Smoked haddock fillet, cut into one inch or 21/2 centimeters in pieces 350 g
- White crusty bread ( sourdough or pain de campagne) cut into ¾ or 2 centimeters in cubes 140 g
- Two tablespoon olive oil
- Rocket salad, spinach, and bag watercress 140 g
- Sliced, cooking chorizo 175 g
- One lemon juice
- One teaspoon mustard Dijon
- In one tablespoon of olive oil place the bread. Use the large frying pan to heat to fry it for about five to ten minutes until golden and crisp. When it is ready, place it on kitchen paper and set aside.
- In a serving bowl, place the salad. Pour into the frying pan the remaining oil, after you have wiped out it first. Place in it the chorizo slices, cook them for about one minute. Don’t forget to stir occasionally. Add the fish to it, preparing it for another three to four minutes and turning it over after one to two minutes. The chorizo should have crispy edges, and the haddock needs to be opaque when it is cooked.
- To remove the chorizo and the haddock from the pan, you should use a slotted spoon, and with the bread crumbs add them to the salad.
- In the pan add the mustard and the lemon juice and return it to the heat. Cook it for 30 seconds while stirring and just drizzle over the meal. It’s best when it is served immediately.
4. Saffron Tart, Spring Onion, and Smoked Haddock
- Smoked Haddock two fillets, leave the skin
- Shortcrust pastry, 500 g pack
- Plain flour
- One tablespoon butter
- Finely sliced spring onion, two bunches
- Three eggs
- Pot double cream 300 ml or a crème Fraiche 300 g
- One teaspoon mustard Dijon
- Nice pinch Saffron
- Finely chopped handful chives
- Grated Gruyere or mature cheddar, 85 g
- The first thing to do when preparing this delicious meal is to smoke the haddock so you can use it for the recipe that will amaze you. The next step is to heat the oven to 392 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll the pastry so it can fit a fluted tart tin that is twenty-three centimeters long. With baking parchment line the pastry, use the baking beans to fill it and place it on a baking sheet.
- Cook for about fifteen minutes until the pastry feels sandy and looks pale. Return it to the oven, after you have removed the beans and paper, for another ten minutes.
- In the pan of boiling water place the fish, so the skin side goes down and poach it until its flesh turns white for about five minutes. After you have drained it, leave it to cool. Peel the skin and discard it. Into the pastry case, flake the flesh of a haddock. Watch out for those bones and remove them if you notice some.
- In a frying pan melt the butter, place the spring onions in it and cook them until they are vibrant green but softened, for about three minutes. In a jug, beat the saffron, mustard, crème Fraiche, and the eggs, season it with a pepper and salt and add the chives.
- Turn the heat down to 320 degrees F. Scatter the spring onions and cheese over the haddock and then use the egg mixture and pour it over. Cook until pale golden that will take about fifty minutes. Before you trim around the edges the pastry, leave the tart to cool. Serve it immediately and enjoy this delicious meal!
When smoked in a high-quality electric smoker, the haddock is an excellent addition to many great meals. These recipes are delicious, healthy and easy to make. The haddock is nutritious, it is a fantastic source of protein, Vitamin B, and contains several minerals.
Boost your brain power by adding it to your diet. Choose any smoked haddock recipe and surprise your family with making this delicious and healthy meal.